The Nominations Committee 2019 is pleased to announce that the AFRINIC Board Nomination process is open for the following seats:
Seat 1 (Northern Africa), to serve a three-year term from mid-2019 to mid-2022. This seat is currently held by Habib Youssef, who was appointed by the Board in July 2018 to fill a casual vacancy.
Seat 2 (Western Africa), to serve a three-year term from mid-2019 to mid-2022. This seat is currently occupied by Mr Ousmane Ly who was appointed by the Board in February 2019 to fill a casual vacancy.
Seat 5 (Southern Africa), to serve a two-year term from mid-2019 to mid-2021. This seat is currently held by Vika Mpisane, who was appointed by the Board in July 2018 to fill a casual vacancy. The two-year term instead of a three-year term is needed to re-establish the sequence given in Article 13.6 of the Bylaws.
Seat 6 (Eastern Africa), to serve a two-year term from mid-2019 to mid-2021. This seat is currently occupied by Robert N Ford who was appointed by the Board in February 2019 to fill a casual vacancy. The two-year term instead of a three-year term is needed to re-establish the sequence given in Article 14.7(i)(b) read in conjunction with Article 13.6 of the Bylaws.
Seat 7 (non-regional), to serve a three-year term from mid-2019 to mid-2022. This seat is currently held by Seun Ojedeji, who was elected in 2016.
We are pleased to invite nominations for candidates to fill the above seats to serve a term starting from Board of Directors’ election-day in the Annual General Members’ Meeting in 2019 till Board of Directors’ election-day in the Annual General Members’ Meeting for the period specified above.
Some of the responsibilities of the Board as described in Article 15 of the current bylaws are:
- Determine the guidelines for the allocation of address space for Members
- Consider broad Internet policy issues in order to ensure that the policies and strategies of the company fully respond to the changing Internet environment
- Determine a financial budget for the activities of the Company for a given period
- Establish a ceiling for expenditures for a given period and from time to time to vary such ceiling as they deem fit
- Fill any casual vacancy in the office of the auditor of the Company
- Provide any general directives to the Chief Executive Officer regarding the staffing of the Company
- Determine the conditions of employment of the employees of the Company who are employed at an Executive level
- Reduce or waive fees payable by any person to the Company, or to amend in any manner whatsoever the conditions relating to the payment thereof
- Appoint or remove the secretary of the Company and to determine the remuneration payable to such secretary
- Appoint such committees for such reasons and with such terms of reference as they shall consider necessary or desirable.
Criteria and qualifications for eligibility
A nominee shall be nominated by one (1) AFRINIC member in good standing and seconded by one (1) AFRINIC member in good standing or be formally endorsed by at least two (2) AFRINIC members in good standing (i.e. they must not have unpaid fees) in case of self-nomination. A member can nominate no more than one candidate and can second any number of candidate.
As stipulated in Section 13.10 of the AFRINIC bylaws: No person shall be appointed or hold office as a Director if he is a person who:
(i) is under 18 years of age;
(ii) is an undischarged bankrupt;
(iii) would, but for the repeal of Section 117 of the Companies Act 1984 of Mauritius, be prohibited from being a Director or promoter of, or being concerned or taking part in the management of, a company within the meaning of that Act;
(iv) is prohibited from being a director or promoter of or being concerned or taking part in the management of a company under Sections 337 or 338 of the Act;
(v) is not a natural person; or
(vi) has been adjudged to have been of unsound mind
A nominee shall:
Have participated in at least one (1) AFRINIC activity (physically or online) in the past three (3) years.
Have at least five (5) years professional and leadership experience in an area relevant to AFRINIC activities such as Internet resource management, ICT, policy development, finance, audit and Human Resources management;
Be able to demonstrate that his/her activities are in the best interest of the African Internet Community.
Be available for at least 25 hours monthly and be committed to actively participate in Board meetings and other AFRINIC activities (face-to-face and online).
Some of the skills and experience that would be beneficial to the AFRINIC Board are:
- Experience in a senior management role
- Financial management
- Compliance and risk management
- Strategic management
- Good knowledge of the Internet governance arena
- Legal understanding
- IT/technology expertise
- Ability to communicate effectively
Anyone elected to the AFRINIC Board will be expected to fully take on the responsibilities of being a board member and carry out their duties to the best of their abilities throughout their term on the Board.
Board members are expected to represent the interests of the AFRINIC membership and AFRINIC Ltd.
Please complete the nomination form available at https://registration.afrinic.net/elections/board-nomination-2019 to nominate yourself or a person of your choice.
The Closure of the Candidate Nomination period is 11th April 2018 at 20:00 UTC.
Note: It is expected that proposed candidates should be able to attend physical or online the upcoming AFRINIC 30 Meeting, taking place in Kampala, Ouganda, in person on the day of the election, 20th June 2019, where they will have an opportunity to introduce themselves to the members and make a short presentation during the Annual General Members Meeting (AGMM). Details on the election process can be found at https://afrinic.net/election-process/board/20181126