The Nomination Committee (NomCom2021) is pleased to announce that the nomination process for AFRINIC’s Board is opened for the below seat:
- Seat 5 (Southern African), to serve a three-year term in terms of Article 13.5 and 13.6 of the AFRINIC Bylaws. This seat is currently held by Vika William Mpisane. A natural person residing in the above region may be nominated (for that sub-region) in compliance with the provisions of Section 12.14 of the by-laws (https://www.afrinic.net/bylaws#b20-13).
- Nominations may be made by
- an AFRINIC member in good standing or
- in case of self-nomination, be formally endorsed by at least two (2) AFRINIC members in good standing
- A member can nominate only one candidate and may second any number of candidates;
- A nominee is required to
- (have participated in at least two (2) AFRINIC events (physically or online) in the past three (3) years;
- have at least five (5) years of professional experience in an area relevant to AFRINIC’s activities, such as Internet Resource Management, ICT, policy development, finance, audit, and HR management;
- A Nominee
- should not, at the time of nomination, be a member of a decision-making body (such as a Board) of an organization which may actually or potentially create any conflict of interest for the nominee’s eventual function as a Director;
- must at all times be available and committed to participating in Board meetings and other AFRINIC activities (face-to-face and online);
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of AFRINIC’s bylaws.
- show previous active participation on membership mailing list discussion in the past three (3) years.
- Nominees are further required to take note of the following as stipulated in Section 13.10 of the AFRINIC bylaws:
- No person shall be appointed or hold office as a Director if he is a person who:
- is under 18 years of age;
- is an undischarged bankrupt;
- would, but for the repeal of Section 117 of the Companies Act 1984 of Mauritius, be prohibited from being a Director or promoter of, or being concerned or taking part in the management of, a company within the meaning of that Act;
- is prohibited from being a Director or promoter of or being concerned or taking part in the management of a company under Sections 337 or 338 of the Act;
- is not a natural person; or
- has been adjudged to have been of unsound mind.
To nominate yourself or a person of your choice, please complete the nomination form available at https://registration.afrinic.net/elections/board-nomination-seat-5-2021
The nomination period shall end on 8th April 2021 at 23:59 UTC.
Note: Nominees whom the Nom Com has selected as candidates should make arrangements to attend AFRINIC-33 in-person or online on the Day of the Election (04 June 2021). They will be afforded an opportunity to introduce themselves and make a short presentation to the AGMM. Nominees are called upon to send a short video presentation to the member list as well as to the NoMCom with a campaign statement if they so wish, and a short biography.
NomCom wishes to receive Nominations from all of the AFRINIC sub-regions. Gender and Language diversity balance is strongly encouraged while a working understanding of the English language would be highly beneficial.
More information on the election process is available at https://www.afrinic.net/election-process/board
2021 ELECTIONS TIMELINE
In view of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, AFRINIC Community Meetings, including both its AGMM and the Public Policy Meeting (i.e. AFRINIC-33 meeting AIS21) will be held online. The following timeline shall be used as far as practical.
- 13th March 2021 call for nominations
- 8th April 2021 close of nominations
- 30th April 2021 Publication of candidates
- 5th May 2021 opening of public comments to the candidates
- 20th May 2021 e-voting and proxy registration open
- 29th May 2021 close of proxy registration
- 4th June 2021 Election day and end of electronic voting
Note: THIS TIME VOTING WILL BE DONE ELECTRONICALLY.