AFRINIC Whois Database is a public database containing information regarding the entities that hold Internet number resources (IP addresses and AS Numbers) in the AFRINIC service region. Although the information is public, use is restricted as described below.
A - USE OF THE AFRINIC WHOIS DATABASE
1. AFRINIC Whois Database is to be used for the following purposes, including:
- Evaluating routing policies or ensuring compliance with routing policies.
- Facilitating operational coordination between network operators (e.g., network problem resolution, etc.).
- Providing reverse DNS (rDNS) delegations.
- For use in conjunction with providing network and Internet services so long as such use does not include reselling, available data contained within the AFRINIC Whois Database.
- Ensuring the uniqueness of Internet number resource usage.
- Conducting scientific research into network operations.
- Researching and tracking abuse issues in connection with the maintenance of AFRINIC Whois Data.
- Identifying resources used or suspected of being used for unlawful or harassing purposes.
- Coordination of globally unique general-purpose Internet number resources for the operation of the global Internet
- Providing information, on request, to parties involved in disputes over Internet number resource registrations to parties authorized under the law to receive such information
- Supporting legally appropriate requests for information regarding Internet number resources by authorities for law enforcement purposes
2. Notwithstanding the above, AFRINIC Whois Database is specifically prohibited for the following:
- As part of a commercial service or product, including the solicitation and servicing of any customer, even if additional data not derived from the AFRINIC Whois Database is incorporated therein.
- For advertising, direct marketing, marketing research or similar purposes.
- For criminal and/or illicit purposes.
B - PRIVACY
As such, AFRINIC will comply with all applicable data protection and privacy laws of the Republic of Mauritius in its handling of data and information submitted to it by the organisation/individual in furtherance of an application for services and use thereof.
C - CONTROL OF THE AFRINIC WHOIS DATABASE
1. Subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2017 of the Republic of Mauritius, AFRINIC may alter or delete AFRINIC Whois Database data:
- According to criteria set out in AFRINIC policies.
- To comply with AFRINIC Bylaws.
- To comply with applicable laws.
- To fulfil any legal obligation.
- For operational purposes.
- if any data is entered by someone who is not authorised to do so.
- At the written request of data subjects whose personal data is stored in the AFRINIC Whois Database.
3. AFRINIC may suspend access to the AFRINIC Whois Database, or part thereof, for maintenance purposes, upgrades, security fixes and deployment of new services subject to notification of the AFRINIC members and community.
4. AFRINIC may remove the personal data of a registered contact upon request by this Person. AFRINIC will only take such action when satisfied that a valid request from the right person is received.
D - LIMITATIONS
1. AFRINIC does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness or availability of the AFRINIC Whois Database or of the data contained therein.
2. AFRINIC may limit the rate of queries to the AFRINIC Whois Database for security or operational reasons.
3. The maintainer of any object created in the AFRINIC Whois Database is a person whose contact information has been provided by an organisation/individual and considered to be the representative of that organisation/individual in the AFRINIC Whois databases. As such he/she (The maintainer) is responsible for maintaining the accuracy of any personal data associated with their resources in the AFRINIC Whois Database. Contact details must be accurate enough to allow AFRINIC to contact the Maintainer within a reasonable time frame without having to get contact information from another source.
Obtaining the informed consent of individuals before using their relevant personal data in the AFRINIC Whois Database, and respect their rights as data subjects according to the Data Protection Act 2017 of the Republic of Mauritius.
Handling any request from individuals who request correction or deletion of their personal data within their number of resource entries.
Accepting liability for any damage resulting from associated personal data being inaccurate, not relevant or out-of-date, and any damage resulting from not informing the individuals, not obtaining their consent, or not handling their correction or deletion requests
4. AFRINIC is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the use of or any issues arising from the use of any registered internet number resources and will bear no liability whatsoever for any matter resulting from such use.
E - INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
1. The user acknowledges that any and all copyright, trademarks, database rights and other intellectual property rights subsisting in or used in connection with the AFRINIC Whois Database, the data contained therein, the underlying software and any accompanying documents and agreements are and shall remain the property of AFRINIC.
2. Except as provided herein, the AFRINIC Whois Database, the data contained therein and any accompanying documents and agreements may not be used, reproduced or made available to third parties without the prior written authorisation from AFRINIC.
F - MISCELLANEOUS