The purpose of the AFRINIC Database Working Group (DBWG) is to provide a channel for discussion between AFRINIC staff, technical community members, and other stakeholders, regarding the implementation of AFRINIC's WHOIS service. Through this channel, the staff will:
- Announce new developments or updates.
- Engage the community in testing new developments.
- Call for comments or suggestions regarding any technical aspect of the WHOIS.
- Engage the community with regards to the database inconsistencies and how we can work together to have them resolved.
- Call for presentations and researches around the WHOIS and database-related subjects.
- Gather ideas of the community regarding improvements to the current DB-related services.
- Help the community in terms of DB tools or objects migration.
- Update and improve the current documentation and share the business rules.
Rules and guidelines
- The database working group is dedicated to the technical discussion of the WHOIS service and the underlying database.
- Though comments and suggestions are welcome from the community, the final decision on implementation details will be reserved for the staff.
- The database working group members are kindly asked to follow AFRINIC's code of conduct
- Comments or suggestions raised in the database working group will be handled by AFRINIC staff as time permits. Any bugs or operational issues should be reported through other channels.
- To subscribe, please follow the instructions at https://lists.afrinic.net/mailman/listinfo/dbwg.
- List archive at https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/dbwg/
DBWG proposals and issue tracker
Check the WHOIS DB changelog for more details on features that have been updated.
|Code||Details||Date Received||Status||Next Step|
|DBWG-1||Have a suffix for the maintainer object
e.g all maintainer objects should end with -MNT. for easy identification
|2nd Jul 2020||Deployed in production|
|DBWG-2||It was raised on the mailing list that the changed attribute is unreliable||5th Aug 2020||Under discussion||Consensus|
|DBWG-3||Proposal to limit IPv6 RDNS objects to minimum prefix assignment prefix of /48||7th Sep 2020||Under discussion||Consensus|
|BugReport-1||Child object removal during prefix deletion. Child objects derived from an exact match of the prefix are not being removed||17th Aug 2020||Deployed in production|
|DBWG-6||Resource holders without email addresses||6th Sep 2020||Work in progress.
ETA End of Q2 2021
|BugReport-2||Remove duplicate domain objects ending with a dot||13th Sep 2020||Done and deployed in production|
|DBWG-8||Complete overhaul of the database manual||02 Jan 2020||Work in progress|
|DBWG-9||Org-type definitions in organization object template||4th Oct 2020||Deployed in production|