The Systems Engineer will be responsible for all activities necessary to properly run, maintain and improve all AFRINIC’s systems that relate to the provisioning and support of member services.
1) Job Background
(A) Job Purpose/Mission of Role
Reporting to the Head of IT & Security, you will be responsible for all activities necessary to properly run, maintain and improve all AFRINIC’s systems that relate to the provisioning and support of member services.
Proactive as well as reactive, you within the Unit are responsible for prioritizing, responding and resolving problems. You will define and monitor AFRINIC’s computing policies, plan and implement system upgrades and maintenance fixes.
You must be organized, personable and have keen attention to detail and shall provide the IUM with pertinent information necessary to aid and manage AFRINIC’s operations.
- Reports to Head of IT & Security
- Number of Direct Reports: N/A
(B) Qualifications and Work Experience
- A degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field, or an equivalent amount of related technical coursework and work experience in a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of job-related experience in a similar role.
- A Master’s degree in engineering will be a plus.
2) Reporting Structure
3) Key Responsibilities
- Conversant experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX/Linux based environments;
- Good networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP), Conversant with internet protocol such as IPv4 and IPv6;
- Ability to support network protocols such as TCP, UDP, SMTP, IMAP, FTP and any other one as deemed necessary by IUM;
- Working experience managing vendor networking devices (routers, switches, firewalls);
- Experience with virtualization and/or containerization;
- Experience in systems monitoring and reporting;
- Ability to write, edit and maintain UNIX shell scripts;
- Understanding of support tools, techniques and how technology is used to provide IT services;
- Understanding of computer hardware
- Proven experience in network and server troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with web related technologies (Web applications, Web Services, Service Oriented Architectures) and of web related protocols.
- Good knowledge of DNS, VoIP, encryption technologies and standards, VPNs, VLANs, subnets, BGP and other network routing methods.
- Experience with automation software, system security and vulnerability management tools an added value.
- AFRINIC’s Behavioural Competencies as applicable and as revised from time to time.
5) AFRINIC Expectations
In carrying out essential duties, an individual should commit to AFRINIC’s mission and values, working as one team to deliver service excellence.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Demonstrates a shared commitment to fulfilling team and organisational goals co-operatively
- Strives for excellence and focuses on continuously improving outcomes
- Displays professionalism through competence, high standards, self-management, and a service ethic
- Displays integrity through ethical behaviour, constructive contribution, and use of appropriate channels
- Makes responsible use of member funds through efficient use of time, funds, and resources
- Models respect by being punctual, reliable, prepared, courteous, and responsive
Head of People & Productivity, 11th Floor, Standard Chartered Tower, Ebène Cybercity, Ebène Mauritius
- Please indicate in the subject title of your email the job reference only: AFJOB-SYE-20211126
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: 10 December 2021
- Start date: As soon as possible
Final interviews of shortlisted candidates will be held at the AFRINIC office in Ebène, Mauritius, when possible; otherwise, interviews will be conducted remotely. The shortlist selection will be based on the dossiers of applicants and telephone/remote interviews of candidates with the desired profile.
AFRINIC reserves the right to call only the best-qualified candidates for an interview and not make an appointment following this advertisement.
Applicants who are not contacted for an interview within 15 days after the closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful.