AfriNIC Policy for reverse delegation on Allocated IP addresses
This document describes the policy for reverse delegation of IPv4 assignments and allocations in the AFRINIC service region. Please note that AFRINIC registers only reverse delegations and is not involved in the domain name registration system.
AFRINIC provides support to enable applications to map to a domain name from an IP address. Reverse delegation is achieved by use of the in-addr.arpa (IPv4) and ip6.arpa (IPv6) domains.
3) Obtaining Delegation of an in-addr.arpa Sub-zone
AFRINIC only accepts requests for reverse delegation under in-addr.arpa from AFRINIC active LIRs. End Users must send their requests to the LIR from which they obtained the addresses, or in the case of Provider Independent addresses, to any of the LIRs of their choice. AFRINIC will carry out tests to ensure that the name server for the zone that the reverse delegation is being requested is up and configured as per the recommendedations in RFC1912.
4) Reverse Delegation for Provider Aggregatable (PA) Address Space
AFRINIC will only make delegations on 8-bit boundaries (/16 or /24). Multiple delegations may be requested to cover CIDR prefixes shorter blocks bigger than a /24.
5) Reverse Delegation for Provider Independent (PI) Address Space
AFRINIC will reverse delegate a zone in in-addr.arpa to an End User that has been assigned PI space.
For delegations of address blocks smaller than a /24 the method described in "Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA Delegation"[RFC 2317] will be used.
6) Validity of the Reverse Delegation
AFRINIC accepts requests for delegation and modifications of delegations from LIRs whose membership status is up-to-date.
Ipv6 Reverse Delegation
IETF consensus was reached that the IP6.ARPA domain be used for address to DNS name mapping for the IPv6 address space. Refer to:
- Delegation of Ip6.arpa - Delegation of the ip6.arpa domain is done by the Intenet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). Names within this zone are delegated to Regional Internet Registries in accordance with their respective delegation of IPv6 address space. The process for requesting IPv6 reverse delegation in IP6.ARPA is described at here
Discussions are taking place on the policy working group mailing list if you want to subscribe to the mailing send your subscription request to rpd-request [at] afrinic.net with 'Subscribe' as subject line
Mailing list archives can be found at https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd