Head, Communications & Public Relations
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the Head of Communications and PR (hereafter referred to as HCPR) will be appointed on an indeterminate contract.
(S)he will primarily be responsible for developing and coordinating AFRINIC's communications and public relations functions. The HCPR will set and guide strategy for all communications and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate AFRINIC's vision and mission. (S)he will proactively develop programmes and strategies to enhance the image of AFRINIC. (S)he will work closely with the COO and CEO to promote, build, maintain and manage the reputation and image of AFRINIC in line with its vision and mission.
(S)he must demonstrate exceptional communication and organisational skills, keen attention to detail, good follow-up, self motivation and proven ability to effectively multitask, the aptitude to work productively with little supervision, and the ability to work as part of a team responsible for increasing AFRINIC's awareness through various communications events and activities. (S)he must be able to write and produce concise but detailed reports. (S)he must possess excellent people skills and an upbeat and enthusiastic attitude.
|Internal Job Title||Head, Communications & Public Relations|
|Reports To||Chief Operations Officer|
- A Master's Degree in Business, Media, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field of study or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a Media, Communications, Public Relations or related field.
- A general understanding of Internet terminology
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts
- Effective and concise written and oral communication skills.
- Sound judgment and tact.
- Previous trade association or non-profit environment experience.
- Strong communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to define objectives, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to implement policy and programme directives.
- Computer skills including Office Suite and Internet navigation.
- Ability to work in English, French and other official languages spoken in Africa.
- Ability to promote AFRINIC Number resource Management policies
- Good knowledge of Africa ICT environment and Internet Protocol will be an advantage.
- Develop, implement and evaluate AFRINIC's annual communications plans across the company's audiences in collaboration with the AFRINIC team and stakeholders.
- Identify innovative ways to develop and promote AFRINIC's image and Mission as appropriate to stakeholders and create momentum and awareness as well as to testing he effectiveness of communications activities.
- Communicate AFRINIC's policies and actions to members and the Internet community at large through a user-friendly website, appropriate mailing lists, publications and other communication channels and tools as identified
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where and when to disseminate.
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including but not limited to newsletters, brochures and AFRINIC website
- Oversee the overall content of the website to ensure accuracy and clarity. Coordinate webpage maintenance – ensure that new information (article links, stories and events) is posted regularly and is in line with AFRINIC's mission and values.
- Develop and maintain all AFRINIC marketing and communications material.
- Track and measure the level of engagement from the community.
- Develop and manage AFRINIC's outreach programme. Identify outreach targets and evaluate opportunities for strengthening relationships between AFRINIC and various stakeholders.
- Coordinate public affairs and communications activities internally within and between all operational functions; and externally with other organisations. Liaise with and support appropriate managers and staff with their marketing and communication needs.
- Help coordinate joint efforts in communication areas where applicable, among the regional Internet registries (RIRs) through the NRO's coordination groups. Seek opportunities for AFRINIC to work in conjunction with related organisations such as ICANN, AfNOG, ITU and AfTLD.
- Coordinate and organise AFRINIC's events that engage the community, solicit sponsors, for partners with AFRINIC and support to biannual meetings and other vents. Contribute to design meeting formations, coordinate registration and provide onsite meeting facilitation assistance.
- Develop and maintain the Communications budget.
- Hire, train and manage the department's staff. Assess and develop the department staff; identify and mentor staff members with potential for promotion to leadership positions; put in place a plan for succession management.
- Liaise with AFRINIC election/nomination committees for different election processes.
- Collaborate with other RIRs on joint activities.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned by the COO.
- To consistently acknowledge and appreciate each team member's contributions.
- To effectively utilise each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- To motivate the team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- To keep track of lessons learned and share those lessons with team members.
- To mitigate team conflict and communication problems.
- Ability to effectively lead projects /services organised around a complex array of programme especially those that related to communications and public relations; excellent management skills.
- Ability to enhance operating efficiency and effectiveness through results and an analytical mind that foster performance improvement.
- Good understanding of the nomenclature, the ecosystem and the operating culture of the Internet especially in developing Countries and specifically the African continent.
- Unwavering commitment to quality.
- Be an example of adding value as both an individual contributor and active team member.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator.
- Ability to work with and develop relations across diverse groups and with external partner organisations.
- Ability to communicate in French and other languages other than English is highly desirable.
- Ability to remain calm and committed to the team even in difficult situations.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritise and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve set goals
- Action-oriented, flexible, and innovative approach to work
- Significant international experience that naturally allows empathy for different perspectives on an issue.
- Tools & Systems Applications
- Computer, Internet, email, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a letter of motivation accompanied by your CV, both in English, either via email to jobs[at]afrinic.net or on following address:
Director Human Resources & Administration
11th Floor, Raffles Tower,
Start Date: As soon as possible
Please note that exact reference for the job should be mentioned as subject of email for example:
Subject : afjob-hcpr201305
Interviews will be held at the AFRINIC office in Ebène.
AFRINIC reserves the right to call only the best qualified candidates for an interview and not to make any appointment following this advertisement.