The IPv6 virtual lab
Our IPv6 training workshops are a balanced mix of understanding of theory and concepts, plus acquisition of skills required to deploy IPv6. As such, we place a high value on hands-on exercises that the course delegates can perform with the guidance of our resource persons.
To facilitate this goal, AFRINIC, under the auspices of the 6Deploy project of the European union runs four IPv6 testbeds that are used during training workshops.
These testbeds are also available for booking by individuals for self practice. Our IPv6 Lab manuals are based on these testbeds.
For IPv6 training, testing and practice purposes, this lab and others like it can be booked through the 6DEPLOY-2 Testbed Reservation System. You will need to register in order to get a user and password to access the testbed reservation system, to manage your requests and to check the status of your requests. Key pieces of information to provide during booking:
- The purpose for which you are booking the lab.
- The IPv4 address -- either single or block) from which you intend to access the lab. If you are using NAT/PAT you will need to specify the public IP address of the NAT device.
- The dates for which you want to use the labs.
Requestors can access IPv6 testbeds remotely over telnet or ssh. The Login and pasword which are required to access the devices are sent to the requestor at least one day prior to the training date.
Please refer to our IPv6 lab manual for the IP addresses to access each lab.
The prefixes which can be used to configure the testbed can be found in the IPv6 lab manual.
For the sake of the testbed operation, the only rules that must be strictly respected are:
- Don't change the management interface configuration
- Don't remove IPv4 static routes
- Don't change login/password information
- Don't change filtering policy on the routers
- Don't change the console line configuration
- Don't change interfaces description
- IPv6 hands-on Lab manual for use with 6Deploy IPv6 testbeds (English | French ).
- Book a real lab (courtesy of 6Deploy) and use the Lab manual above to practice on.
- Collection of hands-on material from the 6Deploy project.
More information is available on the AFRINIC training portal