As is customary, there will be several elections held in our community during 2014 as follows:
- 06/2014: AFRINIC Board (3 seats - Indian Ocean, Central Africa and Non-Geo)
- 06/2014: Policy Development Working Group: 1 co-Chair.
- 11/2014: NRO-NC/ICANN ASO AC (1 Representative)
Per Section 9 of the AFRINIC by-laws, a Nominations Committee (NomCom) appointed by the Board must work to ensure that appropriate candidates are nominated to contest for open seats and that all elections are successfully conducted according to current procedures.
The NomCom shall be composed of 4 members as follows:
- 1 member selected from within the AFRINIC Board
- 3 members selected by the AFRINIC Board from the community.
We are now looking for volunteers from the community to fill the three open positions on the 2014 NomCom. For fairness, volunteers are expected to not be from a region where a Board seat is up for renewal.
Responsibilities of the NomCom are defined in section 9 of the AFRINIC bylaws and comprise of the following:
- Call for candidates for all open elections (above).
- Describe all criteria and qualifications for eligibility to stand for election.
- Where necessary, interview candidates prior to final candidate slate.
- Communicate the final list of candidates for any election.
AFRINIC staff will provide logistical support to the NomCom throughout their mandate. Such support includes publication of the list of nominees, compilation of comments, mailing list moderation, website update, communication with nominees and other duties pertaining to the roles and responsibilities of the NomCom.
NomCom members are expected to:
- Be neutral: Have no interest in the results of the elections.
- Be trusted members of the AFRINIC community.
- Have good knowledge of the AFRINIC business environment.
- Do their best to fulfill their responsibilities without financial remuneration.