New mntner Object Format
Table of contents« Prev All Pages Next »
4) FAQ: Filtered MD5 Hashes
- Why did AFRINIC decide to hide the MD5 hash?
Because some one can crack it using any computer or even smartphone. Hiding it provides a deterrent from crackers trying all sorts of things on your hash.
- Can I update a mntner object without inserting the md5 hash?
No. You must replace the "FILTERED" string in the auth attribute with the actual encrypted hash otherwise the update will fail.
- I have forgotten my md5 hash.
If you remember the plain text password instead, please use our online md5 encrypted password generator. A different hash of the same password will be generated which can be used to update (but not delete) the object
- I know my plain text password. How can I get my md5 hash?
By using our online encrypted password generator. Please note the hash will always be different, as it's generated based on a timestamp.
- MD5 seems insecure. Are there other options?
You can use PGP, which involves using a pair of keys. More information about using PGP with the AFRINIC whois database can be found here.
- I forgot my password. Can you reset it?
- Can I still create customer assignments without knowing the hash?
Yes. All you need is to submit those assignments along with a clear text password to the whois database. You can even use MYAFRINIC for that.
- Does rDNS still work as before?
Yes. All other objects as well as whois database update procedures remain unchanged. Only mntner objects are affected, in that you need to have that hash handy whenever you must edit your mntner (which is not very common).
- How do I use PGP with the AFRINIC whois database?
Having generated your PGP key-pairs, export your public key into the whois database using a key-cert object. Then sign all your database updates using your private key. Please look here for more information.
- Can I use both PGP and MD5 encryption concurrently?
Yes. Either of the authenticated mechanisms will work if specified in a given mntner object.
- How can I get additional help?