Create Route object on AFRINIC whois database
CREATE ROUTE OBJECT – AFRINIC WHOIS Database
To begin with go to: http://www.afrinic.net/services/whois-query#whoisCreateObject
- Click on “Create Object”
- Select “route” to specify the type of object you want to create.
- Click on “Load” to load the route object template.
The route object template will load. Fill in the information that is mandatory, an example is show below:
Refer to the next page for more details on the route object attributes.
Description of Attributes Specific to the Route Object
(1) “route:” – This specifies the IPv4 or IPv6 address prefix of the route. Together with the "origin:" attribute, these constitute a combined primary key of the route object. The address can only be specified as a prefix(in CIDR notation).
(2) “descr:” - A short description related to the object.
(3) “origin:” - AS Number of the Autonomous System that originates the route into the interAS routing system. The corresponding aut-num object for this Autonomous System must already exist in the AFRINIC Database.
(4) “mnt-by:” – Specifies the maintainer of your organization to protect the route object. In most cases the “mnt-by” will be same as the “mnt-lower” in the inetnum/inet6num and the “mnt-routes” in the aut-num object. You may identify the mnt-lower/mnt-routes by querying the AFRINIC Whois(http://whois.afrinic.net/) with your inetnum/inet6num or ASN.
(5) “changed:” - The email address of the person creating/updating the route object.
(6) “source:”– This is already filled for you.
(7) Password – You will need to specify the password in clear-text of the maintainer specified as the “mnt-by”.
(8) You may add other attributes by ‘drag-n-drop’ into the text area;
(i) “holes:” - These attributes form a list of the component address prefixes that are not reachable through the aggregate route (that part of the address space is possibly unallocated).
(ii) “org:” – the ORG-HDL of the organisation responsible for this resource.
(iii) “member-of:” – This attribute identifies a set object that this route object wants to be a member of.
(iv) “aggr-mtd:” – This attribute specifies how the aggregate is generated.
(9) Click on “Create” when you have filled in all the mandatory attributes and provided the maintainer password.
Note: You may hover your cursor on the attributes in the right-pane to get more details and information on the syntax to be used.
There are certain cases in which you will not be able to create routes objects:
Case 1: AS numbers not existing in the AFRINIC’s database and belonging to a third party
Case 2: AS numbers existing in the AFRINIC’s database and belonging to a third party.
In this case, it will be better to ask the organisation who has been assigned the ASN to create the route object for you as their aut-num object will be having a mnt-lower or mnt-routes which must authorise creation of routing information.