AFRINIC NomCom 2013 : Call for Volunteers
This year, AFRINIC will run several Elections and according to our bylaws (Section 9), a Nomination committee appointed by the Board must work to ensure appropriate candidates are nominated to run for open seats (Seats 1, 2 and 7 - Bylaws Section 13)
The committee will be composed of 4 members as followed:
- 1 member selected from within the Board
- 3 members selected by Board from the community.
To fill the three positions open for the community we are looking for volunteers.
The responsibilities of the NomCom are defined in the section 9 of AFRINIC bylaws and comprise the following:
- Ensure that a satisfactory number of individuals from the African internet community stand as candidate for the election of the directors of AFRINIC.
- Supervise the conduct of the polls by the election Committee on election day.
- Call for candidates for elections held by AFRINIC
- Prescribe criteria and qualifications for eligibility to stand as candidate for elections held by AFRINIC.
- If necessary Interview candidates prior to finalising the list of candidates.
- Communicate the final list of candidates for any election held by AFRINIC at least 30 days before the day of election.
AFRINIC staff will provide logistical support to the NomCom throughout their mandate. Such support includes publication of the list of nominees, compilation of comments, mailing list moderation, web site update, communication with nominees and other duties pertaining to the role and responsibilities.
The NomCom members are expected to be:
- Neutral: Have no interest in the results of the elections.
- Trusted members of the AFRINIC community.
- Good Knowledge of AFRINIC business and the role and responsibility of Board members in Not-For-Profit Organsition in general and AFRINIC context in particular.
- Willing to serve as a member in the Nomination committee and do their best to fulfil their responsibilities without financial remuneration.