|The Policy Development Process||Public Policy Meetings||View Current Policies
||Policy Manual||View recent discussions
|The Policy Development Working Group (PDWG)||Meeting Minutes||View Policy Proposals
Policy development process
AFRINIC policies are developed through an open Policy Development Process (click here to read the full version). There is no requirement to participate in the process and anybody can propose and discuss policy matters related to resource management in AFRINIC region of service. To participate you must subscribe to the policy working group mailing list.
Minutes of the last public policy meeting can be found in the minutes of public policy meetings page
Every policy document has a unique reference and status. The status of a proposal evolves according to the diffrerent steps it goes through in the policy development process.
Guide to Status of Policy Documents
Under Discussion - On the mailing list and open for discussions.
Withdrawn - The author of the proposal withdraws a policy at any stage.
Awaiting Approval - The PDWG chairs have sent a proposal to the board for ratification.
Approved - Proposal has been approved by AFRINIC board, awaiting implementation.
Implemented - Proposal has been implemented by staff. It is now a full policy.
Obsolete - The policy is rendered obsolete by another implemented policy proposal.
Format of Reference ID for Policy Documents
Every policy proposal has a unique identifier of the general format "AFPUB-YYYY-Category-Number" plus "-draft-nn" where
- YYYY=year in long format eg 2011
- Category refers to what category this policy addresses eg v4=IPv4, v6-IPv6, DNS=all DNS related, GEN=general and all other, ASN=AS Numbers
- Number= Serial number within that year starting from 001 for that category of policy documents.
- nn=Integer that starts with 01 and increases by 1 for every new version of the proposal.
- If/when the proposal becomes implemented, the "draft-nn" shall be dropped from the final version which shall then become the policy.
As an example AFPUB-2011-v4-002 is the second policy within 2011 relating to IPv4 and it if it ends up having 4 versions, it progress thus: AFPUB-2011-v4-002-draft-01 -->AFPUB-2011-v4-002-draft-02 -->AFPUB-2011-v4-002-draft-03 -->AFPUB-2011-v4-002-draft-04 -->AFPUB-2011-v4.
Propose a Policy
Participate in the Policy Development Process
- Subscribe to the RPD mailing list and join the discussions. Archives of all previous discussions are available here.
- Propose new policy or a modification to existing policy.
- Attend a public policy meeting in person or remotely to discuss your proposal and other proposals. Minutes of all previous policy discussions at public policy meetings are available here.
Propose a Policy
- Please use the policy proposal template below to format and present your proposal.
|Template for Submitting Policy Proposals|
Draft Policy Name:
ID: (Assigned by AFRINIC)
|Sections of Policy Manual affected (Insert sections or numbering as appropriate)
1. Summary of the problem being addressed by this proposal
Discussions are taking place on the policy working group mailing list if you want to subscribe to the mailing send your subscription request to rpd-request [at] afrinic.net with 'Subscribe' as subject line
Mailing list archives can be found at https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd