Reporting to the Director Finance & Accounting, the Accountant will be appointed on an indeterminate contract.
The Accountant will primarily be responsible for the implementation of all company accounting policies. The Accountant will have as his direct subordinates, the Accounting Assistant, the Billing Clerk and any other additional team member (permanent or temporary) that may recruited. He/she will be the central contact point within the Finance & Accounting function.
The Accountant is expected to work with minimum supervision, exercising judgement and take initiatives and referring only highly unusual problems or incidences to his Manager. This is highly responsible accounting work involving the preparation, maintenance and review of financial and related records, and/or timely research, data entry, reconciliation and maintenance of AFRINIC accounts.
The Accountant must demonstrate exceptional communication and organisational skills, keen attention to detail, good follow-up, self motivation and proven ability to effectively multitask, the ability to work productively with little supervision, and the ability to work as part of a team. (S)he must be able to write and produce concise but detailed reports as and when required. (S)he must possess excellent people skills and exhibit an upbeat and enthusiastic attitude. (S)he must also be extremely resourceful, deadline driven.
|Internal Job Title||Accountant|
|Reports To||Director Finance & Accounting|
1) Primary responsibilities and duties
- Provides close supervision to all the reporting staff. Identify, design and implement an efficient system of internal control.
- Evaluate existing processes and make any revisions which are deemed appropriate.
- Ensures the adherence to the procurement procedures by all concerned.
- Ensures Trade creditors are reconciled regularly and efficient payment process for suppliers.
- Ensures that all financial records are posted in the correct General Ledger accounts and ensures that all the accounts are reconciled on a regular basis, thus ensuring that accounting records are accurate at all times.
- Ensures billing process is carried out on a timely basis as per established procedures or instructions and monitor proper follow up on billing related issues.
- Maintained close relationship with members for billing related matters and ensuring the Billing queue is kept under control.
- Ensures a close monitoring of collection from trade and other debtors and prepare periodical reports thereon.
- Prepares frequent bank reconciliations for review by Director, Finance & Accounting.
- Ensures efficient payment processes for suppliers.
- Assists the Director, Finance & Accounting in preparing annual budgets and forecasts as and when required. Produces periodical Cashflow reports.
- Assists the Director, Finance & Accounting in communicating and dealing with external business partners and statutory bodies.
- Prepares monthly management accounts and finance reports for review by the Director, Finance & Accounting and clearing any queries from Management.
- Liaises with External auditors and preparing audit schedules and assist in the preparation of annual financial statements.
- Maintains the company fixed assets register and keeping track of all fixed assets movements.
- Provides support to other departmental managers on accounting matters.
- Prepares and submit timely monthly statutory returns, including VAT, TDS, NPS & PAYE.
- To perform any other related duties as required and assigned from time to time.
2) General Responsibilities
- Ability to place the interest of members FIRST in everything that is done.
- To work individually and collaboratively with other members of the AFRINIC team. At the same time exercise due respect for the other members of the team.
- To effectively utilise each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- To motivate the team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- To mitigate team conflict and communication problems.
- To undertake overseas travel for business purposes if required.
3) Background/Skills Required
- Holder of ACCA or its equivalent A Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- A Masters degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in a similar position.
- Working knowledge of accounting software.
- Sound knowledge of Accounting Standards & practice.
- A general understanding of Internet and telecommunications community.
- Proven records of supervisory exposure.
- Effective and concise written and oral communication skills in English & French.
- Previous exposure to non-profit environment. Strong communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to define objectives, set priorities, and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to implement and enforce policy and procedures compliance.
- Computer skills including office suite and Internet navigation, Pastel and Pastel Evolution, word processing, spreadsheet applications and email platforms.
As well as competitive salaries, we offer a wide range of secondary benefits. These include:
- Health insurance,
- 24h Accident cover,
- International travel opportunities,
- Vacation leave, plus public holidays,
- A generous training budget for all staff,
- Language lessons,
- Regular performance and salary reviews,
- Subsidised connectivity costs to allow you to access the Internet from home,
- Travel costs reimbursed.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a letter of motivation accompanied by your CV, both in English, either via email to jobs[at]afrinic.net or on following address:
Director Human Resources & Administration
11th Floor, Raffles Tower,
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 16 February 2013
Start Date: As soon as possible
Interviews will be held at the AFRINIC office in Ebène.
AFRINIC reserves the right to call only the best qualified candidates for an interview and not to make any appointment following this advertisement.